Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Getting Critical

Today is the last Friday of the month, which in San Francisco means Critical Mass. Unless you have experienced Critical Mass, and really, unless you have experienced it a couple of times, you can't have a clear idea of what CM is. Even though I live here in the City it started in and know people who have been in it since the beginning and have ridden in it and watched it pass from behind the windshield of my car I can not say what Critical Mass is, and isn't. There are days when I love it and there are days when I hate it and there are many times when I am indifferent.

Coolness

Those who love Critical Mass and have been with it since the beginning are asking us to answer some questions of what our "visions of ... Critical Mass is and can become".

Contra Flow Cyclist

To this end, a discussion forum has been called and we are all invited to talk about what we think of Critical Mass and its future. We are asked to "Bring your ideas, bring your open ears and minds", which is a good idea in all aspects of life if you want my opinion.

Feather Face

If you are interested in the future of urban cycling, how groups work to find consensus, what happens when you try to define a movement or how to start framing your own (informed) ideas of what Critical Mass is and is not for you, I encourage you to join in on this discussion. If you live in the area and are interested in having a voice in the future of CM visit the SFCM website for details of the forum time, location and to RSVP (I imagine there will be a limit on the number of people able to physically be in the space that will be used for this event).

Should the sum total of your opinion be "it sucks", may I suggest commenting over at SF Gate instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment