Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Better Late.

So it turns out the "Change Your Life. Ride A Bike!" is over a year old. Our first year has come and gone, and in true Meli/Cali/Caryl/Adrienne style, we were all too busy going to cafés and breweries and taking pictures of people to notice. As they say, better late then never, so we'll just tip our hat to our birthday now.

This last year has been a transformative one for the bicycle world. So many more people all over the world are embracing the idea of a bicycle as a part of everyday life. Bicycle companies are starting to understand the need for bicycles that everyday people can use for everyday life. Bike shops are booming, bike blogs are proliferating, bike lanes are popping up.

The way we all think about transportation and personal ability is adapting.

I hope to speak for all of us here at the blog when I say how honored we all are to play whatever small part we do in the whole process. We started this project to highlight the people of this next generation of bicycling, and it is safe to say no one has ever learned a damn thing about chain rings on this blog. This is what I am the most proud of when I look back at this last year. The connections that our bicycles and our keyboards have made (not just ours, but all the bikes and blogs out there) are what will ultimately help bring the changes we want to see in the world. If this last year is any indication of our future, then this next year will bring some amazing things to experience and write about.

So stick around to see what comes next. I have no idea what it will be, but the four of us are pretty good at making fools of ourselves whenever there is a slow news day, so I am sure we will have something to entertain you!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations, it's a wonderful blog with super-cool graphics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only so much you can say about a chain ring anyway but about riding and socializing the material is infinite.
    Keep on keeping on I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velouria- Meli is the graphics girl around here and we are lucky!

    OF- Glad to have you along for the ride! How about a story of you and that purple and black kilt you were writing about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Adrienne,

    I have been reading your wonderful blog for about 6 months now, but never commented so far. So thought on this auspicious occasion of your first birthday of the blog, I would comment for the first time!

    The blog posts from all you girls involved always give me such a lovely boost for the day. Just reminds me constantly of the joy of riding, but also of the joy of diversity in our community and the fabulous, heartwarming, horizon broadening things that are around us every day, if only we keep our eyes and ears open.

    I have been cycling for nearly a year now (my first 'cycling anniversary' coming up in August :) ) and cannot put into words completely how much happiness it gives me. I am of the Lycra-wearing variety of cyclist, and have just bought my first road bike, because I love going fast and light, but it truly makes me happy to see others out there cycling on many different bikes, wearing different things, just being themselves whatever that is.

    I will continue to log on every day to read your posts, look at your colourful, interesting photos and most of all, to be inspired and hopeful of the wonder of human creativity and motivation to make life more joyful.

    Thank you so much and congratulations on a fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrienne, the purple and black kilt is really burgundy and black. I don't know how that mistake happened but probably I was late for happy hour. Anyhow I wrote about the kilt here.
    I don't have a picture of me wearing it that I would be willing to post. Old men with a beer gut are not the most pleasant thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda- Thank you! We love the lycra crew around here (as long as it isn't see through, then not so much : )

    OF- I have a great fondness for the kilt/beer gut combo. I grew up with that. It is my comfort zone : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. it has been tremendous fun mores so off the blog. we get into lots of new adventures together, and on our own

    ♥so thank you all, very much!

    ReplyDelete