Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Going To Carlolina On My Bike

Have I ever said how much I love it when people send in their stories? 'Cause I really do! Every time we share our stories, someone gets something out of them and it spurs them on to try something new. Today's installment- Laura. Laura lives in Cary, North Carolina and is trying to figure out the whole bike to work dance. She writes about it at "Adventures In Bike Commuting" where she describes herself as a "Spunky 30-something who just got back on a bike last summer for the first time since age 15, fell in love with it, intend to make it my daily commuter to work in Cary, NC. Can I do it?". I love this story because it shows that it isn't just people in big urban centers that are looking for a new way to live. Bike commuting is something that can fit into suburban life, too. Sometimes you just have to work a little harder at it!

Here's some pics from my recent practice of my commuting route. I am building yp to be able to make the 10.5 mile trip to work through Cary, NC. Just gotta work out a few equipment issues now. Contemplating biking to work has made me explore the suburbs I live in and it's been amazing. I doubt I would have ever known about the dragon at Kids Together Park if I hadn't been looking for the greenway entrace to get me to the Hwy 64 pedestrian bridge.





Good luck, Laura! Just remember what the motorcyclists say- Rubber side down!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for North Carolina commuters! I'm from NC and went to college in Chapel Hill, so I know Cary pretty well. Cycling in the suburbs is so interesting and I'm always surprised by the seemingly hidden greenways that populate most of them, such as the pictures shown here. Keep on blogging and riding, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the moral support!

    ReplyDelete